Proud Member since 1998

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

7 Things You Should Know About "The Three Sisters" by Bryan Taylor #politics #humor #mustread

The Three Sisters is Laugh Out Loud Funny. My main goal in writing The Three Sisters was to make people laugh.  I grew up on Monty Python and always enjoyed their anti-establishment, intellectual sense of humor which used the absurdity of life to make people laugh.  Everyone I know who has read the book has found it to be one of the funniest books they’ve read in a long time.  Not only did I try to put a lot of wit in the book, but by writing a satire, the book is comic by its very plot and nature.
The Three Sisters is illustrated.  I think it is a pity that most books aren’t illustrated.  We live in a visual world, and there is no reason why books shouldn’t be illustrated as well.  I love the illustrations that Gustave Doré and others provided to books in the nineteenth century, and it is natural to include illustrations in children’s books, but what about “serious” adult books?  I think they would be better off with illustrations, and I tried to show how I think this should be done in The Three Sisters using illustrations from other books, photoshopped pictures and commissioned paintings.
The Three Sisters is a Sacrilegious Satire.  Although the book is about three sexy nuns, it is not just about Catholicism and religion.  As a satire, it attacks all aspects of the establishment: government, the media, corporations, and all points in between.  Classical satire, such as Candide or Gulliver’s Travels, were written because it was difficult to directly attack the establishment.  Although this is no longer true, I felt a satire was the best way of getting across the message I wanted to provide. I hope that by putting this message in a humorous framework, it will get more people to read the book.
The Three Sisters took thirty-five years to write. The book was originally a serial that I put together in college in 1977. After graduating, I spent four years converting this serial into a book.  For some reason, when I offered a sacrilegious satire about three sexy nuns who work at the Kennedy Center for the Performing Parts and who are arrested for their misdeeds, agents and mainstream publishers didn’t want to publish the novel. Don’t know why.  So the novel sat around in my closet for 30 years.  When electronic publishing made it possible to print a book on your own without anyone telling you how to “fix” your novel, I decided to bring The Three Sisters into print.  I have no doubt The Three Sisters would have been a completely different book if I had used a publisher who was more mindful of their reputation than the novel itself.
The Three Sisters has many unexpected plot twists.  Readers like surprises.  If I can tell you what is going to happen in a book a hundred pages before it happens, I lose interest.  It is fun to think of the author as an escape artist, like Houdini, who can place their characters in an impossible situation, then escape.  That is what I like in a book, and I wanted to do that for my readers as well.  I can guarantee you that if you read The Three Sisters, it will take twists and turns you will never expect.
The Three Sisters originated from a photograph a friend gave me.  The Three Sisters is not autobiographical.  I did not get a sex change and become a nun so I could write from experience. I just read too many books.  A friend of mine gave me a photo of three nuns back in college and I turned that into a wanted poster.  She gave me another photo of nuns, and I turned that into a second little story.  People at the college began asking me what was going to happen next. Each week I put up a new episode and thus the basic plot of The Three Sisters was born.
The Three Sisters was self-published. After I finished writing The Three Sisters in 1983, I was unable to find an agent to represent the book, much less a publisher to publish it.  The book sat in my closet for the next 30 years.  A friend of mine recommended that I self-publish the book, and he told me how easy this was to do today.  The publishing world has been turned upside down and you no longer have to rely upon mainstream publishers to get your book published (getting people to read your book after it is published is another matter, however).  I still had my typewritten manuscript, and I outsourced The Three Sisters to India to convert into Microsoft Word, then began editing the book for publication.  Self-publishing allowed me to create the book I wanted, and I have been pleased with the results.  I encourage others to publish on their own.  Print-on-demand means the book is always available and e-books mean anyone anywhere in the world can download and read your book.  Unfortunately, publishing is the easy part.  Getting people to be aware of and read your book is an even bigger hurdle.  But I have to believe that somewhere, someday, an agent or editor will fall in love with my three nuns and through readers recommending the book, it will receive the readership it deserves.
TheThreeSisters
Nuns just want to have fun! But when three former Catholic nuns have too much fun and get in trouble with the law, they become nuns on the run.
Driving back to Washington D.C. where they work at the Kennedy Center for the Performing Parts, the three sisters are arrested in Tennessee. After defeating the local deputy in strip poker, they escape from jail, and are pursued by the zealous Detective Schmuck Hole, who has personally offered a $10,000 reward for their capture on The 700 Club. Little do they know that when the three sisters visit the Washington Monument, their lives will change forever.
Set in 1979, The Three Sisters is a sacrilegious satire that skewers not only organized religion, but the government, the media, intellectuals, corporate greed and every other part of the establishment. Maybe not the greatest story ever told, but possibly the funniest.
Buy @ Amazon
Genre – Humor, Satire, Catholicism, Politics
Rating – R
More details about the author
Connect with Bryan Taylor on Facebook

0 comments:

Post a Comment